Can You Sue the Police for Injuries in Massachusetts?

Police officers receive a great deal of training so that they may perform their duties without causing harm to the people they protect. Still, many individuals suffer personal injuries because of encounters with police officers. Those who have been mistreated by the police can incur physical pain, emotional distress, and economic hardship.

Fortunately, you can sue the police for injuries in Massachusetts. There are multiple categories of monetary damages that victims of police misconduct can recover. A personal injury lawyer can help review your case and determine the proper course of action.

If you were hurt because of mistreatment by a Massachusetts police officer, get help recovering the financial compensation you deserve. Reach out to our experienced Boston personal injury lawyers by calling the Law Office of John J. Sheehan at (617) 925-6407. Our attorneys can review your case for free.

Suing the Police for Injuries in Pennsylvania

Police officers are not above the law. Those injured because of police misconduct in Massachusetts are permitted to bring lawsuits against the officers who caused their injuries. There are multiple categories of monetary damages that plaintiffs can recover. During your free case review, our attorneys can help determine which of the following types of damages may be sought in your case:

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost income
  • Pain and suffering
  • Out-of-pocket expenses
  • Property damage
  • Punitive damages

Typically, you will seek damages from the individual officer who caused your injury. An offending officer’s supervisors usually cannot be sued unless they were directly involved in the misconduct at issue. Victims of police brutality can contact our Chelsea personal injury lawyers for help pursuing the full range of compensation available to them.

Examples of Police Misconduct You Can Sue for in Massachusetts

If you were injured because of police misconduct in Massachusetts, you may seek compensation for the damages you incurred. Most lawsuits based on police misconduct involve some form of police brutality. Police brutality occurs when officers use excessive force against someone during an arrest. The following forms of mistreatment are all examples of police brutality:

  • Intimidation
  • Threats
  • Mental, physical, or sexual abuse
  • Use of excessive force to make an arrest
  • Improper use of handcuffs
  • Improper use of tasers
  • Neglecting to feed or give water to a detainee
  • Neglecting to render aid to a detainee
  • Exposure to unsanitary conditions while in custody

If you were injured because you suffered one of the aforementioned forms of mistreatment during an encounter with the police, you should file a lawsuit against the officer responsible for your injuries. Our Cambridge personal injury lawyers can provide guidance and support on your path to compensation.

Can You Sue a Police Officer for a False Arrest in Massachusetts?

If you have been detained, arrested, or otherwise held against your will by a police officer, you may question whether that action was lawful. A false arrest is an unlawful restraint of a victim’s freedom of movement. This type of misconduct can occur when someone is held against or will or taken into custody without legal justification.

False arrests are another type of police brutality. In some cases, individuals suffer injuries because of their false arrests. Fortunately, victims can sue offending officers for the harm they incurred. For example, someone who suffered a false arrest may seek damages related to the physical consequences of their arrest and the emotional humility of being restrained.

However, lawsuits based on false arrests can be complicated. Plaintiffs typically must gather copious amounts of evidence to support their claims. The assistance of our Wakefield personal injury lawyers can be very helpful when seeking to hold a police officer liable for harm caused by a false arrest. After a free review of your claim, our team can get to work right away on building your case.

What Happens if Police Misconduct Causes a Death in Massachusetts?

Under extreme circumstances, police officers in Massachusetts are allowed to use deadly force. If a suspect is using deadly force against officers, then officers can use similar force in return. Still, many police shootings are not justified. Officers often draw their firearms in situations where the use of deadly force is unwarranted.

If your loved one was killed in a police shooting, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the police officer responsible for the death. However, determining if the use of deadly force was proper can be a complex process. Our attorneys can help bring a claim against an officer for a death caused by their unjustified use of deadly force.

Do You Need a Lawyer to Sue the Police for Injuries in Massachusetts?

If you were injured because of police misconduct, recovering compensation from the at-fault officer can be difficult without the assistance of our Massachusetts personal injury lawyers. In such cases, police officers are usually represented by defense attorneys who will employ various legal strategies to refute plaintiffs’ claims. Our attorneys can lean on years of experience when fighting defendants and gathering evidence to prove that officers acted inappropriately. The following are common examples of evidence utilized by our team:

  • Witness testimony
  • Photos from the scene
  • Physical evidence from the scene
  • Surveillance footage
  • Expert witness testimony
  • Personal recollections

Our Somerville personal injury lawyers will help our clients collect and preserve the evidence necessary to win their cases. Furthermore, our team can ease victims’ stress by offering guidance and support throughout each step of the legal process.

Time Limit to Sue the Police for Injuries in Massachusetts

Statutes of limitations set forth time limits for filing certain types of lawsuits. Under Mass. Gen. Laws Ch. 260, § 2A, victims of police misconduct will usually have three years from the dates of their injuries to bring their cases to court. Our Massachusetts personal injury lawyers can help file your lawsuit on time.

If You Were Injured Because of Police Misconduct in Massachusetts, Our Attorneys Can Help

If you were hurt because of mistreatment by a police officer, seek support from our experienced Quincy personal injury lawyers by calling the Law Office of John J. Sheehan at (617) 925-6407 to review your case for free.